Working for a better future and outcomes for our children
CREATE Report Launch
In March 2019 CREATE launched its new report, Out-of-Home Care in Australia: Children and Young People’s Views After 5 Years of National Standards. Last year CREATE conducted the largest ever independent survey of children and young people with a care experience in Australia, surveying 1275 children and young people with a care experience about their experiences in the out-of-home care system.
Snapshot of the findings are below:
- 44% of respondents reported being aware of having a case plan, but only 43% of these had been involved in its preparation
- Children and young people in home-based care tended to have a more stable care experience than in Residential Care or Independent Living; Kinship Care respondents reported the most stable placements, with three quarters of these meeting the Standard.
- Of children and young people in care who identified as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander,
- 93% of children and young people said they felt safe and secure in their current placements with 81% of respondents also indicating they felt happy in their placements.
- 36% of young people with siblings in care were separated from all their brothers and sisters.
- Carers were significantly more involved than were caseworkers in helping children and young people maintain family contact and helping young people in their education needs.
Some powerful quotes from children and young people about culture:
- Having a say about going home to community and having my cultural ceremonies or getting smoked when I am sick or else it will be worse for me, and something bad could happen to me. (Female, 14 years)
- I'd like to talk more with my caseworker. I'd love to learn everything about my culture. (Male, 14 years)
- I want to find out if I have a cultural support plan so I can get help finding more info about my culture and where my family was from. (Female, 14 years)
- I would like to know who my family is and where I come from which is hard because both of my grandparents were members of the stolen generation. (Female, 16 years)
To access the reports and read more, https://create.org.au/publications/2018-create-report/