QATSICPP Community of Practice 12-13 July
Strengthening responses to newborns
On beautiful Yuggera and Turrbal Country, QATSICPP was honoured to host the Strengthening the Response to Newborns Community of Practice, held 12 & 13 July 2023. 75 registered delegates representing 15 community-controlled organisations across the state were generous with their time and presence by engaging in a two-day gathering that reflected on practice, programs and data related to keeping Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander babies’ home with family.
The gathering commenced with a moving Welcome to Country by Aunty Deborah Sandy, laying the foundations in reminding us of the strength that comes with knowing. Knowing our history and our stories strengthens our identity and connections which are integral to who we are and the work we do to ensure our little ones grow up with family.
This was followed by the showcase of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander led initiatives that elaborated on the power in community-led collective decision making and put a focus on newborns belonging with family. Some key messages from the speakers included:
- Waijungbah Jarjums: culturally safe midwifery programs on the Gold Coast.
- HALT Collective: partnerships across three community controlled organisations strengthening early intervention responses for pregnant mothers.
- Birthing in Our Community: seeing birthing is a wellness journey, not an illness.
- Mookai Rose Bi-Bayan: providing support, accommodation and advocacy for mums from remote communities in FNQ.
- REFOCUS: partnering with Dept of Housing to provide accommodation to support parents accessing relevant supports and move towards secure housing in the first 3 months of bubs life.
We value feedback and were heartened to hear our members felt culturally supported, with a wealth of knowledge in the room and excellent presenters.
A big thank you to Our Members and external services for your ongoing support and participation in the Community of Practice spaces. For sharing their knowledge, and contributing to the different discussions on strengthening the connection mums and bubs need in this space.
We are humbled by your commitment and unwavering dedication to keep Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander babies with family.
- AIDRWA (Aboriginal & Islander Development Recreational Women’s Association)
- ATSICHS Brisbane (ATSICHS Brisbane: Child and Family Services)
- CQID (Central Queensland Indigenous Development Ltd)
- Gidgee Healing [Mount Isa Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Service (T/A Gidgee Healing) ]
- Goolburri (Goolburri Aboriginal Health Advancement Co Ltd. Goolburri Family & Child Wellbeing Program)
- Kambu (Kambu Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Corporation for Health)
- Kummara (Kummara Association Inc)
- Mookai-Rosie (Mookai Rosie Bi-Bayan)
- REFOCUS (REFOCUS Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Corporation)
- TAIHS (Townsville Aboriginal & Islander Health Service: Child and Family Support)
- IUIH BiOC (Institute for Urban Indigenous Health Birthing In Our Community)
- QLD Health Waijungbah Jarjums